Thursday, August 28, 2008

Beachin Key Lime Cupcakes


When Tomm and I got married; one of the many details we decided about the wedding/reception party was that we would NOT be freezing part of our cake for the 1st anniversary. I am usually very sentimental... but I just couldn't see even tasting year old frozen cake... Tomm couldn't see "flying" the cake back to Georgia to freeze and eat one year later. SO... I decided that I would make a cake/ treat every year to celebrate. I made these cupcakes this year to play on the "beach" aspect of our wedding. FUN fun! They turned out really good and very moist, not to mention soo cute. (I realize I am a chubster who gets exited about traditions that involve food.) I am posting the recipe for anyone who wants to give them a try. I hope you enjoy them.
Key Lime Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes..
1/2 C butter (room temperature)
1 C sugar
3 eggs
1 C milk
1 C flour
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs (You can buy them already crushed up now; baking aisle)
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/8 t salt
5 egg yolks
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 C lime or key lime juice
Key limes... optional for decoration

* Beat the butter for about 30 seconds until creamed.
* Add the sugar and mix for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
* Add the eggs, one at a time, being sure to beat for 30 seconds for each egg.
* Use food processor or a potato masher or whatever you have on hand to grind the graham crackers into tiny crumbs and powder if you don't already have them in crumbs.
* Sift the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda and powder, and salt. (I didn't actually sift the graham cracker crumbs. )
* Add about 1/4 of the mixture to the butter mixture.
Add some of the milk.
Continue to add the ingredients in a dry - wet - dry method, ending with the dry.
Mix until just combined.
* In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks, sweetened condensed milk, and lime juice. (FYI - If you want to make an amazing key lime pie, just mix the ingredients in this step, dump it into a pie shell and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. It's the easiest recipe ever! The pie won't be green and it shouldn't be. Lime juice isn't green.)
* Dump the key lime mixture into the graham batter and lightly stir. Do NOT fully integrate the key lime and graham batter. You should have clumps of batter in a key lime soup.
* Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full. Make sure each liner has a nice distribution of key lime liquid and graham clumps.
* Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until top bounces back when touched.


Frosting
4oz of cream cheese... half of the block (room temperature)
1/2 C butter (room temperature)
4 C powdered sugar
1 t lime extract (I couldn't fine lime extract at Whole Foods so I bought online at Amazon)
Mix the cream cheese and butter.
Add the powdered sugar and lime extract.
After frosting, sprinkle some of the graham cracker crumbs on top of the cupcakes and then stick you lime wedge on top. Since the frosting is made with butter; store leftover cupcakes in the fridge until you serve them again. The frosting will set up a bit in the cold fridge so set them out about ten minutes before serving.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

You think you are a chubster... I don't want to bake, I just want to eat! Those are so cute and sound awesome, I will have to give them a try for sure:) Love you

Stephanie said...

Whitney, I love reading your blog and seeing what you've been up to! Sounds like you're having a lot of fun down in Florida. Those cupcakes look SO good! Congrats on 2 years with Tomm--you're a cute couple!

Giron Family said...

Oh how cute are you?! Those cupcakes sound delish. I LOVE the "beachin" idea. Ha! I'm so gonna make those on of these days.

The Payson Olsen's said...

Oh my goodness, you are the best wife ever.... You are so cute... I love the cupcake idea... You are so right that eating into that top layer one year later is kind of a joke. Eric and I bit into it and boy it sucked... This is such a cleaver idea... I love the "Beachin" Idea... YOu are so awesome!!!!!! Tomm is so lucky to have you as his wife... You are a inspiration.... I want to be just like you!

The Jensen's said...

Whitney,love the idea of the cupcakes you are the best wife my husband is lucky if I even cook let alone bake.My idea of baking is going to the store buying somthing and coming home and puting it in a dish so it looks homeade. Well looks like I'm going to have to bake those cupcakes sound delish. Hope you had a happy anniversary.