Friday, November 7, 2008

Support Our Troops and Veterans Golf Tournament

I had the opportunity today to volunteer at a "Support Our Troops and Veterans" golf tournament. We were all able to raise money for the cause. It was so amazing to go and spend my time with fellow volunteers, vets, and current servicemen.
I grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah. I had family in the service but I never really understood their sacrifice until now. My brother, Kasey Jensen is in the military. Now it is personal for me. I don't think enough people really know what it is like to sacrifice for this country's freedom. After 9/11 I just felt a desire to help out and support the troops. And now that Tomm and I live in Florida we are surrounded by Veterans. I volunteer at the local VA hospital in the barber shop. So I get to spend a lot of time with our vets and servicemen and women. I will tell you first hand that they are the most unselfish and giving. They never expect a Thank-you or a hand out. They put their life on the line so that we can all be free to live our wonderful, convenient lives. And yet they are sometimes the most in need of our help. I once saw a man here on the side of the road; he was probably in his 50's. He was missing one of his legs (I wondered how easy it would be for me to work and get around with just one of my legs). So I gave him some money and told him thank-you for fighting in Vietnam. He started to cry and said he appreciated it. I knew he wasn't talking about the money. They are all around us you guys. Some are living healthy, prosperous lives. But some are on the street doing what they can and struggling. I ask that you all pay attention and keep your eyes open. Please support our troops; whether you donate time or money or simply place your hand on your heart when you see one.... they'll know what you mean. And learn as much as you can about American history. It will help you appreciate the simple things in life.

The golf tournament was raising money to send care packages to the troops. This website tells you about a man by the name of Bob Williams, who was a Vietnam vet. He dedicates most of his time shipping things to the troops. Take a moment and read about him and his work.
http://johnmtaylor.com/spttroops.htm

I hope you can get something out of this. I just think that even the smallest act of kindness can be so big for others. And kindness and thoughtfulness goes a lot further than money.
Love you guys! Thanks for reading!


Here are some pics of the gorgeous golf course.

Birds



You can's see him too well... there is a gator sunning on that bank
Some of the golfers. Ben, the one on the left coordinated the tournament.

Selling raffle tickets, flag pins and car magnets. I bought one of each for myself

And one more time... Me and Daisy again.

3 comments:

The Strongs said...

Whitney, you are truly such an amazing person. I'm so grateful to know you because you are so giving and unselfish. Thank you for this post because it made me realize how I sometimes take our veterans for granted. They are sacrificing so much and I appreciate you making me reflect on how much we all owe them.

Natalie said...

You are such a good person, Whit. Me and Shel were just talking tonight about giving to people in need and we both thought of you. You are so unselfish and giving. I really look up to you for that and so many other reasons! love ya

Giron Family said...

Bless your heart. You really are such a good person volunteering and that. What a good thing to volunteer at too.
You look fabulous as always. Love your cute shorts. Oh how I would kill for warm weather right now!
Luv ya!