Sunday, March 15, 2009

Master of the Skies

One of Tomm's Christmas presents was a gift certificate to Tropical Helicopter for an intro flight. So basically you get to go up in the air for a 1/2 hour with a helicopter. He has talked about flying one ever since he started playing Microsoft Flight Simulator. Tomm has a love for anything with an engine. He has owned some FAST and hard to drive cars so I'm sure it helped that he is really comfortable driving on the road.
Yeah he is pretty much a badass pilot now!
I was so impressed at how much he already knew about the helicopter's mechanics and controls. The flight instructor would not stop saying how impressed he was with Tomm's ability to handle the thing. He said he had a slow, steady hands (to which I totally agree) and that is the one of the essential things that most people have to master before they are able to fly a helicopter because it wants to go up/down, side to side, and twirl all at once.
Tomm said the coolest thing about the whole flight was that he actually got to hover the helicopter by himself.... I saw them out there in the distance hovering and I thought to myself "he is probably doing that without help from the instructor". By the way... this is the hardest thing to do with a helicopter... I know personally because I have tried it on Flight Simulator and failed miserably because I panicked and jerked).
You know when your boyfriend or husband makes you proud in a super HOT way. Well I was so exited for him! He was all smiles and it is everything to see him accomplish something he wants to do. We had so much fun!
We're exited!The guys checking all the checkpointsI can almost see the words floating above his head "I think this will fit in the garage".
Buckled in and ready to venture.
Giving me the thumbs up! Ka chow!!
Hovering and waiting for the green light.
Somewhere in between this last picture and the next one they buzzed a few fields with some weaving acrobat maneuvers.

And is anyone familiar with the Stratushere in Las Vegas? Well they sorta did a move like that!!! Straight up and FAST! Ahhhhh
Oh and did I mention that the doors to the helicopter were OFF?
I-yi

This is the part when they came in to land and Tomm was able to hover out by that tower.
There is a tiny spec hovering right above the ground to the right of the grey stake-looking thingys. That's him alright getting his groove on. Woohoo!
Anyways! It was AWESOME! If any of you girls out there are in need of gift ideas and you think he might like to take on a whirlybird. We highly recommend it! In fact Tomm sais, and I quote he "would give up GOLF for flying helicopters"!
That is like saying I, Whitney will never shop at Ross or Khols or Sephora or Charolette Russe again.

No comments: