Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Who Cut One?

It was ME!... and I actually cut about 3 dozen.
One of my favorite traditions this time of year is making treats. I love to make sugar cookies. They are so yummy and I love to give them to friends and neighbors. I usually don't like sugar cookies either because they are so rich and they make me feel sick. But this recipe is SO exquisite!. They are so light and they will melt in your mouth. Plus you get to use cookie cutters! FUN! I will post the recipe if anyone wants to give them a whirl.
Baked and ready for decorations...


All finished!

Broken cookies don't have calories (Heeuck heeuck... bad Relief Society joke).
Do you think my trainer at the gym will go for that one? I-yi
So happy together!
PS... notice I put a red streak in my hair. Christmassy!
Cookie Cutter Cookies
1/2 C butter softened
1/2 C margarine softened
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 egg
1 tsp pure almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tarter
Mix fats, sugar, egg and extracts together. Add flour, soda and COT and mix evenly. Shape dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight (Sometimes I am in a hurry... at least until chilled, about 45 mins).
When you are ready to start rolling out dough.... Heat oven to 375. Get a piece of wax paper and rub flour onto it. Dough is very soft and so flour your rolling pin each time you roll it over (Careful not to over use flour though). When you have desired thickness (1/4 inch or so) use cookie cutters. Use spatula to move onto cookie sheet. Bake 7-8 mins. Cool before frosting.
Frosting
1/2 C butter
4 C powdered sugar
2 tsp pure almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-4 T half and half or heavy cream (Whole milk will work). If using food color leave a little thicker (2 Tablespoons)
Beat all ingredients together and get the party started!
If you try this recipe I hope you have fun and enjoy them. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!

3 comments:

The Strongs said...

Hey Whit! You are such a Suzy Homemaker. I love it! I wish we were close enough to share the holiday season together. I would love to try some of your sugar cookies. They look yummy! We have been getting snowed on ALL week and it makes it feel like Christmas! And my students are absolutely adorable. They are so excited and it makes me excited, too. I can't wait until we have kids of our own to share the Christmas season with.

Alex said...

You are so good to make goodies for the Holidays! I am so busy I feel like I have no time to bake. I always like some good sugar cookies. I am going to try this recipe for sure but probably not until after the holidays. By the way I love your house. It is so cute and I absolutley love your kitchen, I love the white cabinets!

Susan Engar said...

Looks so yummy! I can't wait to make them myself. Thanks for posting the recipe. I LOVE sugar cookies! Have a Merry Christmas!