Saturday, September 26, 2009

The Everglades Alligator Farm

One of the neatest things to see in South Florida is the Everglades... the GATORS, the birds, the airboat rides, the miles and miles of open swamp. I have been to 3 different facilities and my favorite is The Everglades Alligator Farm. It is the oldest farm in Florida. It is neat because they actually breed gators there so you will definitely see not just one but TONS of them at the Farm (where as at some of the other places you will only see gators by chance).

BIG Lizard! Snapping Turtle
Ducks with curly feathers.
"Ahhh! It's been fun and all but..." She's ready to go back to her larger, more comfy home. She won't ever be released back into the wild due to her injury.
THE GATOR SHOW
"Hiiii!"
"C'mere, see what happens!"
A few of them having a little hissy fit out in the water.
" Don't step on my foot or I'll bite your tail."Getting in position for their rat treats.
This gator actually pushed the fence open trying to get the rat treat. Good thing that handler knows what he's doing.
WOW! They can lunge themselves up the entire length of thier body.
Work for it!
The Grow Out Pens

The infantsThe babies
The tweens
The teenagers... almost ready to meet the real world.
THE GIFT SHOP

Ali and I both bought matching necklaces.


THE AIRBOAT RIDE

Our awesome captain. This guy can drive!!!

Mom and Alvin ready to go.

Mommy gator defending her nest.

Get your picture by the skins....

L to R: Crocodile, Python, Alligator
Me, Mom, Annalynn Woof!

THE SNAKE SHOW!A little hint! Don't make eye contact with the show man.... you might find yourself in the show.

Yes, he made me come down there and get a snake out of the bag and hold it.
Courage Whitney!
It wasn't so much holding it... but the snake kept trying to sniff my arm. It took everything in me to not throw the snake in the air and run.
It's hard to describe the sensation of the snake wrapping around my arm.... time to go back into the bag.
Alvin got bullied by his lovely daughter and my darling husband to go on stage... and since a girl (me) did it he HAD to do it. HAHA
Are you serious?! He was as cool as the snake was himself.
Fearless!
The snake likes him, it's that touch, he's got it!
Ali having a go at it. Haha

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Oh my heck! I can't believe you held that mo fo! Ugh I would SCREAM! You are such a daredevil. And then Alvin HAD to. So funny! You look so pretty, it's annoying me now since I'm loungin in sweats w/ a power bun. Love and miss you tons!

The Simmons Family said...

I love you Nat! I miss you... If I was there I would totally rock sweats and a powerbun with you!

The Strongs said...

Oh my gosh! You are too brave. I can't believe you held a snake and everything!!! I miss you. We're throwing our annual pumpkin carving party this year and I wish you were going to be here for it. Hope all is going well with your new home.

Love ya!

Giron Family said...

My girls LOVED this post. They've been asking where alligators live and I've been saying in the FL everglades. So this was perfect to show them! They looked at all the pics in total awe. LOL!